Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 June 2011

“Be” the Music in Your Life.


Let music fill your soul... let it lift you high. Sing and dance today, smile and laugh today, let music fill your soul. ~ ACN



Music! Such a small little word, yet one whose magic works upon the soul.

Music has the ability to take us to places where we, in a conscious form, may battle to go on our own. It can raise us up and can allow us to float gently within the nether reaches of our minds. It can comfort us and it can bring us back from the depths of depression. It reminds us of places and people and can bring to us a range of emotions so vast.

For many years, my bitter and angry years, I hid from music. I was afraid to feel and express my emotions that may just have emerged from listening to music. I had always been a music child, my favourite being that of the 60’s and 70’s. I have never really had a good singing voice and battled as a child to keep a beat. Yet in those years I could, with abandon, sing to my hearts delight and boogie as none other. In those years, I was full of confidence and knew on a inner level my worth and deservingness. In my child mind I believed that I could sing like a nightingale and dance as well as Margot Fonteyn. I was free to be me. Sadly, I lost freedom as life battered and knocked me this way and that with each choice I made and music was no more. With no self-belief, self-worth and self-love, I simply was too afraid. I lost my inhibition to be me.

When we become locked in our angry, bitter worlds we lose sight of the things that can heal us, the things that bring us joy and the things that keep us going. I doubt that there is one amongst us that can claim to a life that is constantly happy, where nothing affects us or brings us down. We have all had experiences in life when we have missed another, felt alone or lonely, or been down in the dumps. When in these times we must look to the tools around us that can lift our spirits for it is when we are in this frame that we allow and can see opportunities that come to us and are able to take action upon them.

Music soothes our souls. It brings us to the wonderful state of being where we can “be”. Sure, anger can bring us to the same place if we allow it to be constructive. Yet anger is a negative emotion and so often we fail to see outside of our anger, seeing only what is inside the emotion and not the bigger picture. Listen to the lyrics of your favourite music and correlate it to your life. Feel the rhythm of the music in each fibre of your being. Allow it to seep within you and touch your soul, awakening it, delighting in it. Pick up a drum (or a pot if you don’t have a drum) and make your own music feeling the beat of each stoke of your hand (or spoon if you’re using a pot). Let your body take over and sway and dance to it. Use your voice, the instrument given you by your Divine for this purpose. Be child-like in your musical experience.

Take a chance on your life today. Turn up the volume of your favourite album. Lose yourself within the notes that flow forth. Let your body go, relaxing to the sounds that surround you, drawing them into your being, allowing it to touch your soul. As you lose yourself to the music, feel the corners of your mouth turn up into a smile. Care not what others say, simply do it. This is about you and not those around you. “Be” the Music in your life today.

In love and light,

Amanda

Photo courtesy of: http://goodstuff568.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/new-igloo-music.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment